We are a rapid-growth scale-up disrupting the infant nutrition space through our award-winning brand Kendamil – the only infant milk made in Britain, proudly used by the British Royal Family and uniquely crafted locally using British organic full cream milk, without the nasties.
Our company, Kendal Nutricare, is a 150-person team passionate about giving children a better start to life. We’re proud to be a Queens’ Award winning business and to be ranked by the Financial Times as one of Europe’s 1000 Fastest Growing Companies in 2020.
We’re on an exciting path – join us!
We are looking for a Laboratory Manager with a Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science or relevant scientific discipline, with excellent managerial and organisational skills and expert knowledge of lab health and safety procedures. Working as the Laboratory Manager you will be responsible for efficient and effective laboratory operations; ensuring that microbiological and physical/chemical testing deadlines are met. You will ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures across the laboratories, recommending measures to improve testing procedures, use of equipment and needs for new equipment. As a successful candidate you will join a company where new ideas and ways of working are embraced to help further assist the department and company.
As the Laboratory Manager, you would work within the Quality Assurance Department, managing a team of 9 laboratory technicians and reporting to the QA Manager
What you’ll be doing:
- Explore and implement methods to reduce testing turnaround times
- Understand business goals and Provide day-to-day direction for the team, including agreeing appropriate goals and deadlines with the team, and ensuring fully competent staffing cover
- Coordinate inductions, and training & development plans for new and existing staff members
- Review, monitor, track, and trend technical and employee performance
- Lead by example, provide coaching & mentoring to team members, and promote a positive and collaborative working environment
- Manage analytical and microbiological equipment installs, validations, servicing, and maintenance
- To develop lab procedures and challenge the scientific and technical rigour of protocols and experiments
- Liaise with other departments (production, QC, planning) to ensure smooth running of the laboratories and prevent bottlenecking
- Develop and maintain the food safety and quality culture in the laboratory team
- Monitor, analyse and justify initiatives, projects, and expenses to senior management.
- Participation in quarterly management reviews and continuous Improvement activities
- Provide technical input to the QA and laboratory team
- Timely and accurate completion of all documentation
What you’ll need:
- 5+ Years’ experience in a food laboratory in a relevant discipline, i.e. QC laboratory
- A BSc in food science or a similar scientific discipline
- A strong understanding of laboratory health and safety compliance preferably with an understanding of environmental regulations
- Experience in managing staff in a lab
- Good people skills
- Strong leadership ability
- Desirable: Knowledge of BRC, Regulatory and customer requirements
- Desirable: Experience managing change controls
- Desirable: Experience in developing SOPs and Risk Assessment
- Desirable: Experience of working with and contributing to Quality Management Systems
What we would like you to be:
- A demonstrated leader
- An effective communicator
- Organised, efficient and methodical
- An excellent problem-solver
- Confident to make clear decisions
- Quality focused with a drive to ensure standards are upheld
- Proficient with technology (Microsoft, QMS, email, etc.)
- Service-focused to deliver a high quality service with solutions to technical and production
What you’ll get from us:
The opportunity to work for the fastest growing infant milk brand in Europe, alongside a young talented team dedicated to serving thousands of passionate customers.
We offer 28 days holiday (incl. bank holidays), a pension scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, on-site parking, a cycle-to-work scheme, subsidised breakfast and childcare vouchers. Oh and did we mention our factory is located in the heart of the beautiful English Lake District?
If this sounds like a role for you, email Angela Milns, HR Manager (Angela.Milns@Kendalnutricare.com) with your CV,
salary expectations and a note on why you’re right for the job — we can’t wait to meet you!