Head of Quality
We are a rapid-growth scale-up disrupting the infant nutrition space through our award-winning brand Kendamil – the only infant milk made in Britain, proudly used by the British Royal Family and uniquely crafted locally using British full cream milk, without the nasties.
Our company, Kendal Nutricare, is a 150-person team passionate about giving children a better start to life. We’re proud to be a Queens’ Award winning business and to be ranked by the Financial Times as one of Europe’s 1000 Fastest Growing Companies in 2020. We’re on an exciting path – join us!
We are seeking a Head of Quality to join our management team at Kendal Nutricare. You’ll have no less than 8 years’ experience in manufacturing, great people management skills along with being commercial and driven!
Reporting directly to the CEO, you’ll be responsible for; managing the QA team, QA budgets, continuous improvement and efficiency, maintaining a quality management system compliant with food requirements. and working closely with R&D and the purchasing departments.
What you’ll be doing:
· Managing the QA team on site, laboratory, microbiology and quality system teams
· Monitoring and ensuring compliance with Chinese, Irish, EU and Codex regulations for all quality systems
· Achieving excellent sanitation and environmental cleanliness in clean room and high care environments.
· Leading and managing regulatory and 3rd party audits and internal audits.
· Working closely with site and company management team, regulatory authorities and all stakeholders giving optimum support.
· Participating in Quality Metrics reviews and management reviews
· Providing leadership, guidance and communicating trends in the network community
· Developing and managing quality & food safety related training and as required conduct Food Safety and product quality related Training for staff, visitors and contractors.
· Implementing product quality and HACCP training, environmental monitoring program, change control system, good documentation practice, validation program and all quality system requirements.
· Interfacing with all regulatory agencies.
· Identifying quality compliance risks proactively and working with onsite leadership to create and implement mitigation plans
· Issuing, reviewing and maintaining product specifications, certificates of analysis, and all other QA documents.
· Tracking and coordinating reviews for quality event escalations, including regulatory notifications and product recalls. Maintain applicable metrics for escalated quality events and communicate to senior management
· Managing the maintenance of product batch files.
· Ensuring that relevant physical, chemical, and microbiological tests on raw material as per specifications are completed to required standards.
· Overseeing all plant HACCP, pre-requisite quality programs, and all quality/food safety related programs to meet regulatory and food safety requirements.
· Ensuring all sanitation and safety guidelines are being met.
· Implementing a CAPA program and ensure plant audit corrective action plans are implemented in an efficient & timely manner.
· Generating reports & conduct Management Reviews addressing QA activities, trends, performance, customer feedback and expenditures as well as communicate findings and action plans to the site personnel, management and senior management.
· Managing Quality aspects of new product realization, including liaising with R&D team, validation processes & studies through to validation of finished product to meet international compliance and food safety regulations.
· Other projects and responsibilities as may be defined.
What you’ll need:
· Minimum of B.S. Degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Biotech, Pharmaceuticals or related discipline.
· Minimum of 8 years’ experience in a GxP Manufacturing site
· Minimum of 4 years supervision of work of direct and indirect reports
· Strong communication skills and good interpersonal skills
· Exhibit a positive work attitude and high productivity
· Have the ability to work with initiative and manage own work load with minimum supervision
· Experience in food safety, HACCP, cGMP in a high care environment
· The ability to read, interpret & implement policies and regulations and become an British, EU and China Food Safety and Compliance related regulations.
· A strong working knowledge of GxP regulations in the European Union (EU), United States (US) and other relevant global markets
What we would like you to have:
· Previous experience in quality assurance/food safety/technical function within a similar food processing environment is preferred.
· Experience in implementing UK and EU Food Safety and compliance regulations.
· Experience working in a similar environment.
· Proven ability to develop and sustain excellent food safety programs.
· Strong ability to achieve excellence sanitation and environmental cleanliness in a clean room environment with high care areas.
· Strong computer application skills (Word, Power Point Outlook, Excel).
· Experience developing and managing budgets.
What you’ll get from us:
The opportunity to work for the fastest growing infant milk brand in Europe, alongside a young talented team dedicated to serving thousands of passionate customers.
We offer 28 days holiday (incl. bank holidays) with additional holidays granted each year for the first 5 years, a pension scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, Life Assurance at 2 x basic salary, on-site parking, subsidised breakfast and childcare vouchers. Oh and did we mention our factory is located in the heart of the beautiful English Lake District?
If this sounds like a role for you, email Angela Milns, HR Manager (Angela.Milns@Kendalnutricare.com) with your CV, salary expectations and a note on why you’re right for the job — we can’t wait to meet you!